Adolf Hitler
Was Hitler an atheist or a Catholic Christian? This catty debate surges on, year after year, day after day. Each side tries to score one more “Atheists/Christians are evil” point, and you’d better just admit now that no one is going to come out the winner; no matter if it’s ever decisively proven or not, this result won’t likely affect any one person and their individual choice about religion. It won’t bring back lost lives, traumatic memories, or the culture and growth lost to war.

So instead of voting either way, I’ve decided to tell you what I really think when I see this debate bubble to the surface:

Hitler was a fucktard! He had inhumane views that served only himself. He was botched in the head. He did horrible, terrifying things to a hell of a lot of people that impact us to this day. I don’t give a cat’s diarrhea if he was religious, nonreligious, or a guy who liked to dress up as Betty Boop on weekends. He was a human who made a dumbshit mess out of an entire age though his choices, leadership, and influence.

As an atheist, I want to say I don’t care what he labeled himself. Enough! We need to get past this idiotic debate and concentrate on important virtues like personal responsibility, serving those in trouble, and standing up for the rights of all nations. If we can learn anything from the atrocities this man inspired, let’s learn that we must honor and respect one another as individual human beings–not villanizing groups of people in the name of our objectives.

Categories: Christianityhistory

17 thoughts on “Hitler: Christian or Atheist? (And Why I’ve Had Enough!)”

Jim_Gardner · June 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

It seems pretty obvious to me that Hitler's plans didn't fail because they inspired too many people to think for themselves about entrenched ideology and dogmatism.

If there is a mission to being a secular humanist, it is to educate the religious that their definition of the word atheist is as meaningless as whether or not Hitler was inspired by the same 2000 year old book of plagiarised Pagan astrology myths as the Pope. They both behaved abhorrently and they both claim divine inspiration as the authority to act exactly opposite to the teachings of Christ.

gregorylawrence · June 16, 2009 at 4:55 am

Yeah, this debate has always pissed me off. There's two things wrong with caring what he was on the religion scale: 1)he said so many contradictory things, and was such a master of propaganda, that you're never going to likely know exactly what he believed, unless we find a real secret diary that tells us; and 2)even if we did know, it has absolutely no relevance to the religion/atheism debate. Unless, of course, you've got the mental sophistication of a two year old and want to tar an entire group because of one fucktard. It's bad logic, and more importantly, just bad.

godlessgirl · June 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Good thoughts, gentlemen. I agree with Gregory that we can never solve this issue, and in my opinion, it doesn't even need solving. It's just as excuse for people to point fingers and say "told you so!" I do not respect such behavior by adults. Leave it at the playground.

Alex · June 16, 2009 at 10:17 am

Finally someone calls it what it is. Faith-heads always try to make Atheists murderers and evil bastards by saying Hitler was an Atheist. Well, in my country, it was the Church which colaborated with the Nazis. Under pretenses that they're fighting against Communism.

ConverseAtheist · June 16, 2009 at 3:42 pm

The only people I've ever heard bring up this 'argument' have been theists who worship a god that ordered genocide, Himself. This fact suggests to me that we should be calling theists on this inconsistency, rather than focus on irrelevant (as you mention) things like whether Hitler was an atheist/theist.

I write up one way of wording the interaction here:

philzombi · June 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm

For the sake of argument let's assume that Hitler was an atheist. Why should I care?

Ethos · June 17, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Hitler has become a weapon of sorts for a variety of interests. Obviously a lack of religious belief is actually a motivating factor in genocidal behavior. I've also seen people draw the same parallel to Liberals or "The Left" because Hitler was apparently an animal-loving, homosexual vegan, and of course Nazism is a left-wing ideology.

All completely ridiculous comparisons, but people try them out regardless.

Your-Atheist-In-Arms · June 17, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I simply do not care what he was. We have Christians who are good people and who are bad people. We have non-religious people, atheist and agnostic alike who are good people and bad people.

When people's only validation of their views is proving the other side wrong, I find it awfully pathetic, especially when atheists try to be reactionary and pinnup one of the most immoral beings of our modern age as a Christian, or when a Christian pinnup that same man as an atheist to validate their views.

Jynx Evermore · June 23, 2009 at 1:37 am

It's not that I think defining Hitler's beliefs as "Christian" produces some trophy with which I can proudly present to theists and say, "Told ya' so!" ; It's that Hitler's actions were informed by his beliefs. Everyone who chose to follow him did so because of their choice to accept (on some level) his belief system.

Jynx Evermore · June 23, 2009 at 1:38 am

Where did Hitler's beliefs come from? Upon what were they based? Do they share traits in common with theism, or for that matter, any religion? If so, what traits do they have in common?
Questions like these are vital to understand the success Hitler (and others) had upon societies and entire generations.

Jynx Evermore · June 23, 2009 at 1:39 am

Ideas are the most powerful force humans have at their disposal. With them we possess the power to destroy and to convince others to destroy. With them we possess the power to create and to convince others to create as well.

Jynx Evermore · June 23, 2009 at 1:40 am

Every action anyone takes is based upon an idea…a philosophy or philosophical outlook. What ideas promote peace and prosperity? What ideas promote death and misery?

Jynx Evermore · June 23, 2009 at 1:42 am

The moment we label a person's ideas…their beliefs, as irrelevent, we concede the fight to someone, anyone, who will not hesitate to use the power of their ideas to change the world.

Adam · June 23, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I agree with you. It doesn't matter. I personally think Hitler only cared about religion insofar as it helped him control people. I just don't think it really matter to the whole religion debate…

JM B · July 16, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I'm with you on this. So what. He was also a vegetarian – so I guess we should not trust vegetarians, and on top of that he wore a mustache. Well, stay away from hairy lipped (as opposed to hare lipped) people.
Pfft, so much energy wasted on subjects that don't even matter

Veronica · March 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Amazingly good text! Of course, first of all he was a human. What else would he be?! Excellent point!!

And I’m tired of the “thank God He made you this way!”-thing. Ripped open by Gaga again (newest single). So I have started to say “Thank God He made Hitler then?!” Either God made everyone, or no one. Seriously.

There is a level of personal choice here, no matter what or who put the cells you are made of together. If you are good or bad. Be proud of what you have made yourself into.

NotSoMightyGod · March 18, 2011 at 8:49 am

I read enough of your post to get the gist. Honestly, Hitler is the ultimate ad absurdum argument now.. Whenever I have a discussion and Hitler comes up, that’s my que that the discussion is no longer serious.

As Dan Dennett said, somewhere in a YouTube video, when you bring up Hitler you’ve disqualified yourself from the conversation.

ad absurdum