What do you think about common superstitions? How many can you think of that people around you still practice or believe in?
Have you ever:
- avoided stepping on sidewalk cracks
- held your breath in a tunnel
- wished someone “Good luck!”
- walked around a ladder instead of underneath it
- been afraid of breaking mirrors
- crossed yourself, kissed a saint medal, or lit a candle before performing a task
- crossed your fingers when telling a lie or wishing for a certain outcome
- believed in Murphy’s Law
- owned a rabbit’s foot or four-leafed clover
- broken a wishbone with a family member or friend
- kept the groom from seeing the bride before the wedding
All of the above are what we see now as silly superstitious actions and beliefs, but still hold a memorable place in western culture. What others did you grow up with that are still practiced even though they have no basis in science or rational thought? Are you at all superstitious? Do you play along with any superstitions for fun? Does it bother you when someone else does?