I recently tweeted:

I want to be a card-carrying Atheist. Maybe I should make my own cards…

And Jim of How good is that? responded with a great interpretation that we can all download for free and keep in our wallets.

Atheist card

I love this idea, and I think you should check it out!

Speaking of which, what sorts of end-of-life wishes have you laid out? Do your loved ones know? Are they legally binding or simply verbal?

25 thoughts on “Card-carrying Atheists”

matt · September 4, 2009 at 4:44 pm

card carrying atheist ….how many atheist groups do you belong to?
are you a member of "American Atheists" or "Atheist Alliance International"?
the card posted above… to me is kind of funny, seeing as though many catholics have a very similar card
if you are a member of "American Atheists" they give you one when you join, but i guess it really doesnt matter, you could still make your own card

godlessgirl · September 4, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I do not have any official membership to an organization. I haven't decided which of the multiple orgs I'd be interested in.

godlessgirl · September 4, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I do not have any official membership to an organization. I haven't decided which of the multiple orgs I'd be interested in–or if I would join at all.

amber · September 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I don't care WHAT anyone does over my hovering-near-death body. If they want to pray over it because it makes them feel good, WHATEVER.

godlessgirl · September 4, 2009 at 5:18 pm

The difference, then, might be if you think funerals, end-of-life decisions, rituals, last rites, etc. are about you or your loved ones.

Michael Nugent · September 4, 2009 at 11:50 pm

I agree, it is about the impact on the people who are still alive. Someone I knew died two years ago and she was in a same-sex relationship. She had agreed with her partner that neither of them wanted a religious funeral, but because their partnership was not legally recognised the decision ended up being made by her parents. Her parents organised a Christian funeral, knowing it was against her wishes, and isolated her partner from the event. It was very sad, and very unjust.

godlessgirl · September 5, 2009 at 1:21 am

It's so sad and damaging! What a disappointing situation.

Twazzi · September 5, 2009 at 12:03 am

I believe that when you're dead you're dead. You can do what you want with
my body, I won't know. Hang it from a chandelier and then burn it on a bonfire and drink your faces off, whatever turns your crank. I won't know.
All over the world there are very many ways of dealing with a dead body, only
overly religious people want some kind of ritual performed. I should correct that
last statement, funeral homes want your money and will advise fancy rituals as the only way to dispose of the body. There are government rules how to do this which usually benefits the funeral homes.
There are ways to cut down the costs, convince your family members before you die to spend the absolute minimum on your funeral. DON'T BE EMBARRASSED
INTO SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY by the funeral directors.

godlessgirl · September 9, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I know one woman who took out a loan in order to afford a "proper funeral"… poor lady!

SisyphusFragmnt · September 5, 2009 at 4:30 am

I've expressed my want for a secular funeral to my parents and fiancé. I wrote it in an email so it's sort of more important than a verbal thing. I requested that instead of people sending flowers that they instead just make donations to secular charities that benefit the homeless or children, on my behalf. I haven't made any direct wishes about how I am to be handled near-death because I'm not sure exactly what I want yet. I'd prefer not to be hounded by priests but beyond that I'm not sure.

SisyphusFragmnt · September 5, 2009 at 4:31 am

I've expressed my want for a secular funeral to my parents and fiancé. I wrote it in an email so it's sort of more important than a verbal thing. I requested that instead of people sending flowers that they instead just make donations to secular charities that benefit the homeless or children, on my behalf. And that I wanted no priests or preachers at the funeral, as I know none so they have no reason to be there. I haven't made any direct wishes about how I am to be handled near-death because I'm not sure exactly what I want yet. I'd prefer not to be hounded by priests but beyond that I'm not sure.

OlderMusicGeek · September 5, 2009 at 5:01 am

well, i told my daughter that she could do whatever makes her happy. i just had two requests. one was that i get a green funeral, where my body is just wrapped in a sheet and buried in the ground without a box or anything, and that she plays dropkick murphys' version of "amazing grace" from their live album.

if there's no afterlife, i won't know what's going on. and if there is, i'll probably be busy with it and won't be too involved with my funeral.

godlessgirl · September 6, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm also a fan of not using caskets and the like, but I tend to favor cremation just to make *sure* they won't embalm me. Ew.

Jon · September 5, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Wow, this is great. Now Atheists can show everyone how silly they are.

CKHB · September 15, 2009 at 2:44 am

I want my useful bits donated to people who can use them, and I want the rest cremated (and I think I even found an eco-friendly container that you can drop whole in the water, and it dissolves over time)… oh, and if my brain is no longer functioning, I absolutely want to be unplugged (and I do have a living will).

godlessgirl · September 16, 2009 at 5:46 am

"I've also told my husband that I'll be having him taxidermied, and kept in the house in the corner, wearing an authentic Boba Fett costume. He's all over that plan. It seemed like the next best thing to being shot out of Hunter Thompson's cannon…"

Best. Plan. Ever.

rhinoplasty · September 23, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Nice site!

James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil · February 26, 2010 at 11:40 am

Jon, How silly atheists are? Sorry, but theists have a corner on silly. and also upon hypocrisy, lying, and being fools.

In fact. most theists are all three at the same time. By your post, I would have to lump you in that category.

In line with true ethical behavior (unlike theists) I have told my friends and family not to waste one dime on any service or “arrangements” for me. If they can donate my body to a medical school or anything that doesn’t cost them, do it. Otherwise, a dumpster will be fine with me.

I’ve told them to spend their money on a party and enjoy themselves in this life because it’s all they are going to get. That’s far better than a funeral to appease a fake “god”.
.-= James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil’s last blog ..First Paragraph of My Book =-.

PodunkVeg · November 14, 2010 at 9:43 am

JSJP, could it be the “they” Jon refers to is “everyone”, not atheists? In a simpler sentence, maybe he meant: Now Atheists can show how silly everyone is.
    Strange, being atheist AND devil’s advocate (though I am sure Christians would feel they are the same literal thing)

Richard an Atheist in Thailand · May 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Well as a long, long time Atheist I’ve had a few plans, however as with everything else – plans change.

As an American currently living in Thailand, it does allow for a bit less complex and costly remains removal.

The fire factory is just up the road at the “Wat” temple.

Wife’s father died last night and there is a three day “food and fun” going on as I write.

No living will here, so wife or someone will direct me to the fire place.

Her instructions are to party (minus the Monks).

Gerda Deadmond · May 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Waugh. Great blog. Found it by accident when I search for dream home. But belive me, Iֲ´ll come back to this great blog

Brian · August 30, 2010 at 4:57 am

Sweet, I want one! Maybe one that requests a secular funeral as well.

On a related note, here’s a really good atheist store I found. Well, primarily atheist and science stuff…

Aristotle’s Muse

Maybe wearing an atheist T-shirt won’t change the world, but then again, maybe it could.

The atheist business card : Clive White’s Blog · September 7, 2009 at 1:37 pm

[…] from godless girl Category: admin […]

The Atheist’s Business Card | Friendly Atheist · July 11, 2011 at 9:04 pm

[…] Godless Girl) This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink. ← Quebec Teaches World […]