amputee

Photo by The Cambodia Trust (flickr.com)

There is no god. Even if there were, it clearly doesn’t give a damn about you missing some bodily tissue. If it did, it could fix it! How do we know this? Science!

The fabulous website whywontgodhealamputees.com is based on the challenge that if a god is all-powerful, all-loving, and promises to answer prayer, then why won’t this god heal someone who has a missing limb? It’s never happened, and we know it never will. At least, not through prayer.

An exciting landmark has been reached in regards to a gene that may regulate tissue regeneration in mammals (that means humans too, Creationists!). This ability to replace damaged flesh with healthy, scar-free flesh seems to be triggered by the loss of the p21 gene. When the p21 gene is lacking, cells behave more like embryonic stem cells rather than adult cells.

“Much like a newt that has lost a limb, these mice will replace missing or damaged tissue with healthy tissue that lacks any sign of scarring,” said the project’s lead scientist Ellen Heber-Katz, Ph.D., a professor in Wistar’s Molecular and Cellular Oncogenesis program. “While we are just beginning to understand the repercussions of these findings, perhaps, one day we’ll be able to accelerate healing in humans by temporarily inactivating the p21 gene.”

[Andrew Snyder, Ph.D. stated,] “In normal cells, p21 acts like a brake to block cell cycle progression in the event of DNA damage, preventing the cells from dividing and potentially becoming cancerous,” Heber-Katz said. “In these mice without p21, we do see the expected increase in DNA damage, but surprisingly no increase in cancer has been reported.”

(Read the rest over at PhysOrg)

If it may work on a mouse, could tissue regeneration be available to humans in the future? Do you think this would encourage or stifle the superstitions about divine healing?

20 thoughts on “Why Doesn’t God Heal Amputees? We May Have the Answer.”

MikeTheInfidel · March 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

So not only does God not heal amputees, but he explicitly designed them so that they wouldn’t be able to heal on their own! How nice of him.
.-= MikeTheInfidel’s last blog ..We’re Not Alone =-.

Liudvikas · March 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I assume that they will attribute those advancements in medicine to god. It definitely happened to everything medicine achieved to this day.

Good Reason News · March 18, 2010 at 9:26 pm

GG, obviously, in order to pray, one must be on their knees and have their hands folded. If you’re not in this specific position, it’s like not fully dialing the number, to God. So God won’t hear your prayer. It only stands to reason that since amputees can’t properly achieve this position due to the amputation, God isn’t aware that the amputees want to be healed.

See, why can’t you just accept my imagination’s inductive reasoning that conveniently confirms my superstitions? Jebus be praized, yeeehaw!

Jeremiah · March 20, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I find your story fascinating, and your thoughts, questions, criticisms, and sass both interesting and entertaining. In your recent interview, you mentioned that you’ve been blogging for a while. Is there anywhere where one could read a blog that you had before your conversion to atheism? I’m interested in all forms of significant changes in the fundamental belief systems of individuals. Do you not link to old blogs because it would reveal identity?

Godless Girl · March 20, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thank you for your feedback! You’re correct; I don’t share my old blogs (yet) since it reveals who I am. It is interesting to read those archives, though. I hope to re-post some of that material on GG.com once I’m completely out in the “wild” 😉

Jeremiah · March 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm

The wild is a lot less crazy for people like me. Are you hesitant to reveal your identity out of fear of crazy internet stalkers or because of all the annoying and frustrating conversations that people who don’t know the deconverted you will bring up? Were you a “sarcasmatron” pre-deconversion?

Godless Girl · March 26, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I was always sarcastic, yep!
    I’m apprehensive only because of putting my job at risk and because I don’t want certain individuals to evangelize me. I can handle the evangelization when that happens, but I’m not prepared to be on the job chopping block.

Windwalker · May 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Why Doesn’t God Heal Amputees?
That is a standard Atheist’s question today. Yesterday it was “Prove to me God exists” that required physical proof of God’s existence.
Physical proof was provided 2000 years ago but he was killed for profit and convenience by religious men.
Jesus healed all he desired to niot who he was dictated to heal. God is not Santa Claus to provide our selfish desires. he is the creator and needs no man to dicate to him.
Why Doesn’t God Heal Amputees? I guess you have to be there when it happens and refrain from speculation just becasue you haven’t seen it yet.
When there miracles begin to happen is when we as a people have to be prepared for a resistance by the adversary. When God begins to reveal his power then Satan will begin to raise his reptile head in resistance to stand up to God.
Why Doesn’t God Heal Amputees?
The question isn’t Why Doesn’t God Heal Amputees? When will God heal amputees for us to see.
But jesus did say that a wicked and perverse generation seeks a “sign” only to indulge there own satisfaction and not to worship God as he truly deserves

My question is this “Why Doesn’t the Atheist accept the fact that they belong to a court deemed secular religion?”
“Why do Atheists want “proof” of God if they only want to find his weaknesses and rid the world of the accountability that they will have to give on the day of judgement?”

john · January 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm

saying that atheism is a religion is like saying someone who doesn’t collect stamps has non-stamp collecting as a hobby. Your post claiming atheism is a religion is absurd.

J. Howard · February 1, 2012 at 1:11 am

Non-stamp collecting might look a bit like a hobby if the non-stamp collector spent a significant portion of his or her life belittling stamp collectors lack of intellect on their non-stamp collector blog.

The stamp collector may say something like “Man, stamp collecting has changed my life. You should check it out”. The non-stamp collector on the other hand grits his teeth and fires back “keep that nonsense the heck away from me ya half wit! You’re crazy and I intend to spend copious amounts of my free time bashing you and your crazy ideas. I simply have no tolerance for idiots who don’t share my view on non-stamp collecting.”

Hobby or not, I think a reasonable person could conclude that the non-stamp collector might need to step back and examine why it is exactly that they are so profoundly angry at stamp collecting. That is unless the non-stamp collector was touched inappropriatly as a child by the president of a stamp collectors club…then, I understand;-)

Samuel · January 22, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Here are dictionary definitions of the terms

Religion: The service and worship of God or the supernatural

Atheism: A disbelief in the existence of deity

Marry · July 28, 2010 at 2:47 am

Very stupid analysis

You are trying to prove non existence by the absence of an act your require

God does not heal amputees because he created the universe according to some rules and laws

God exists and can be proved as well

john · January 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm

So furnish the proof. And quoting the bible doesn’t work. This is like me writing a book that states that I am God and then as proof I would read a passage from the book that states I am God.

bleh · January 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm

the real god is vulcan, stupid xtian.

OptimisticCynic715 · September 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm

null:

Are you referring to a specific God? The “Why…Amputees” site is directed at the Judeo-Christian God, and uses Bible verses to justify the request.

God exists and can be proved as well

Well hop to it Marry! Lot’s of room left in that comment box!

OptimisticCynic715 · September 14, 2010 at 11:07 pm

That science sounds exciting. I’ve also read about Wnt proteins that regenerate scarred areas with hair follicles and all. May increase risk of cancer though.

I heard Albert Kligman discovered WNT decades ago, but people said it was impossible, so 50 years down the toilet with no research. Hooray for naysayers.

tim sutherland · October 5, 2010 at 8:48 am

There is at least one documented case of a man in Spain in 1640 whose amputated leg was restored two years after losing it. His name is Miguel Juan Pellicer. also, Jesus healed many lepers, and lepers often had body parts that had been lost, including fingers, toes, noses, and ears, and they were (if the Bible is true) restored whole. So God has healed amputees.

Godless Girl · January 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

We cannot trust the Bible as a source since the authors (of the Gospels especially) are trying to convince the readers of Jesus’ Messiahship and–in the case of ‘John’–his godhood. They are completely biased. There is no evidence any of those stories are anything other than the imagined fantasies of devout believers.

Luigi · January 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I am a divine prince!
I have no evidence or proof, but please believe it – then you will be blessed, otherwise I send you to hell.
You dont believe it? So somebody has to write a book about me – a holy book. Title: The holy prince for idiots. Maybe thats the way it works or?