I’d like to welcome 7,500 United Kingdom gamers to the fate of the Hell-bound Heathens™. We’re a friendly bunch, and we’re having a BYOB hullabaloo once we reach the specific hell of whichever deity gets to us first.

So, you’re wondering how you were suddenly screwed out of your immortal bliss? Blame GameStation and your own laziness:

GameStation has today revealed that it legally owns the souls of thousands of customers, thanks to a clause it secretly added to the online terms and conditions for the official GameStation website.

The “Immortal Soul Clause” was added as part of an attempt to highlight how few customers read the terms and conditions of an online sale. GameStation claims that 88 percent of customers did not read the clause, which gives legal ownership of the customer’s soul over to the UK-based games retailer.

The remaining 12 percent of customers however did notice the clause and clicked the relevant opt-out box, netting themselves a £5 GBP gift voucher in the process. … more than 7,500 customers fell for the simple ploy and missed out on the gift voucher.

(source)

My joy to be bound in damnation with you is short-lived, however. The executives will be contacting you shortly to issue a nullification. Sigh.

If you still want to come to the party, just become a heathen like us! It’s gonna be kickass.

9 thoughts on “7500 Gamers Sold Their Souls…and Didn’t Realize It”

Roof Woofer · April 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Too, too funny. I admit, I did look for an April 1 publication date on the original article, but no, guess not.
.-= Roof Woofer’s last blog ..RoofWoofer: ROFL at this example of what can happen when science meets human beings. http://wondermark.com/614/ Another hope dashed. =-.

oinonio · April 16, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Why do I suspect that if a company attempted this clever trick in the USA there’d be calls for boycott and dissolution?

Veritas · April 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm

How do you miss the free voucher? I always get that stuff. Hell, I’d *sell* my soul for five quid.
.-= Veritas’s last blog ..Collectivization of culture in the West =-.

Dave · April 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm

3…2…1… Lawsuit.

Some silly people will immediately start panicking that they’ve lost their soul. Funny stuff.

I probably would have skipped right over the opt out as I never read the terms. Bye bye soul.

Amy · April 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm

3…2…1… Lawsuit.

Bill · April 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm

One semester while teaching I put an “I agree to pay the instructor $10 in cash each class” type paragraph in the middle of a 3 page syllabus. I told the students to read the syllabus carefully and, if they understood and agreed to everything in it, to sign the acceptance form and bring it in the next class.

An average of 1-in-25 students found the stipulation.

Not Guilty · April 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Pff I’m in law school and I rarely read online terms and conditions.

facebook likes hack software · July 26, 2014 at 11:47 am

The wonderful brief film above illustrates the unfavorable correlation involving specific peoples’ Facebook likes and their actual happiness.
For everyone who has ever been a tiny uncomfortable watching a friend happily spin their breakup as “Ultimately Single!!!” or any other variation on that theme, you must
enjoy this. facebook likes hack software

vimax pills reviews vimax pills-does vimax work · August 2, 2014 at 1:26 am

whoah this blog is magnificent i like studying your articles.
Keep up the good work! You realize, many people are searching around for this info, you can help them greatly.