A Canadian game show called Just Like Mom aired from 1980-1985. Fergie Olver [whose name I kept misspelling, which is now fixed] and his wife Catherine Swing co-hosted the show for 4 of those years. Mr. Olver seemed to have a little obsession with affection, and a viewer caught on to that trend and edited the video you’ll see below. This is what it can look like when an adult is showing inappropriate sexual attention to a child.

I’m neither a psychologist nor expert on these issues, but I’d like to share my interpretations and thoughts about what’s going on here:

The Mothers

Why don’t the mothers do anything about Olver’s behavior? They’re sitting right next to their daughters who are being pressured into giving out kisses to a middle aged man. I think they hold back out of embarrassment or fear. If they say something, it’s on television in front of an audience that wants lighthearted entertainment. The producers and director would be angry for the disruption. They’d draw attention to themselves. Maybe it’s not a big deal, they might think. This is just funny and non-threatening.

• Can someone who was the age of those children or older tell me what affection with strangers or family friends was like back then? Was it more socially acceptable?

The Audience

Is it nervous laughter we hear in the background, or is it truly amused chortles? It bothers me to hear little snippets of cheering when a girl finally gives in to the pressure.

The Host

Fergie Olver uses a light, playful tone of voice when talking to the girls. He showers them with compliments and asks about their personal life–even the dating practices of one girl. He uses his body to get very close, covering their personal space with his arm around the back of the chair and his head stooped low to make eye contact. He moves closer and tricks the girls into bringing their faces up before stealing a peck on the cheek or even the lips.

When a girl refuses or acts nervous, Olver either goes for the kiss anyway and ignores their feelings, or he tries to persuade them; he even tells Alison (0:46) with a whisper in her ear that if she gives him a kiss, she’ll win the show. When she refuses, he warns her of the consequences.  What do we call coersion of a sexual nature? That’s right kids: sexual harrassment.

What. A. Fucking. Skeezebag. I wonder what Olver’s wife thought of his sexual miscunduct on the show? What was he like in private when the cameras weren’t rolling?

The Kids

Who’s my favorite kid? Alison (0:46) who says clearly that she does not give out hugs and kisses freely and that no she will not give him one even when he asks repeatedly. Alison’s mom calls him a “dirty old man” after he tries to bribe Alison. That’s the one piece of honest observation we get to see in this video, and I don’t feel that anythiing is amusing or wrong about her saying what everyone should have been thinking.

The girls’ body language should say enough: We see two of the girls physically move away from Olver when he goes in for the kiss. They’re startled, frightened, and uncomfortable. That is called unwanted sexual touching.

How did this douchebag get away with such flagrant behavior? Have we simply grown more aware of the dangers of that sort of attention than we were back then? What do you think of these clips?

53 thoughts on “Game Show Host Kisses Young Girls”

rodiel · January 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

So… all girls should grow up completely devoid of affection? I’d be supporting that (it makes them stronger, better survivors in the adult world where affection is fake and/or bribery for something), but I know many people who’d object.

Godless Girl · January 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm

So… all girls should grow up completely devoid of affection?

Who said that?

Nihal · December 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Wow. And I thought the pervert from “Family Feud” was bad! According to Wikipedia, this show wasn’t even controversial. I was also surprised to read that there were repeats between 2008 and 2010. I was even more surprised than that the show wasn’t taken off the air in the eighties.

Oscar · February 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This is pretty disturbing to watch. There’s absolutely no excuse for stealing a kiss on the lips, regardless of age. I know a lot of people think of kissing as “no big deal”, but a kiss on the lips can be enough to transmit herpes (either type), which is currently incurable, and can cause birth defects.

Katy · September 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I really dont know what all the fuss is about. Everyone say i will do this, or that. What a load of crap. I dont see nothing wrong with it. So what he steals a kiss. no big deal. At least he is trying to do anything more. and the mother is sitting right there. Most of you, are just small minded, and its a shame that you are allowed out in society.

Nancy bridge · January 5, 2015 at 8:37 am

Perhaps it’s you that is small minded if you can’t see anything wrong with that!!

Feminist · January 29, 2015 at 11:37 am

No one has to the right to another person’s body without their consent. That applies to “stealing a kiss” and purposely brushing up against them for your own sexual gratification on a crowded train and so on. The fact that you – especially as a woman as your username implies – don’t understand this is concerning.

The above – the right not to be sexually harassed in any way – applies to every human being on the planet. But it especially applies to children.

Kellie · January 9, 2016 at 8:29 pm

So…Einstein, it’s okay for a filthy, old, geritol popping, funky ass senior citizen to want to kiss a child? A child that CLEARLY doesn’t want to kiss his idiotic mouth that tries to plant his disgusting, and unasked for thin lips on them.

A “stranger” who is not her father, or of any relation to her? She has no obligation to kiss this fool as he blatantly takes that rock head of his in for the kill.

And YOU are all a fool, and stupidity has taken the head seat at the table of your muddled up mind.

I would have punched this dude in the jaw if he would have done that to my daughter….you would have seen him unconscious on the floor.

Brandy · July 15, 2016 at 9:00 am

Katy there is something wrong with you.
Kellie I agree with you 100%!