This is what it’s like when you teach that believing an illogical and impossible myth by faith is better than observing the real world and not making shit up.

14 thoughts on “Creationism in the Classroom”

Vlad · July 6, 2010 at 9:39 am

Things like that make me very worried for the future of this planet, especially that last comment, how are we ever going to get rid of racism, homophobia and sexism when people can use their beliefs to protect their views.

jake · July 6, 2010 at 10:34 am

The comments by the students shows that they have no idea how evolution works. This is a sad and scary video.

Godless Girl · July 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

And we can assume he probably didn’t correct their misunderstandings since that would disagree with his preference for creationism.

Stephen Moore · July 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I think it more likely that the ‘teacher’ (if one can stomach to call him that) would not correct these misunderstandings because they are his own misunderstandings. How such incompetence on the part of a so-called educator can be allowed is baffling.

Brittany · July 6, 2010 at 11:20 am

This makes me really angry. This teacher is not “giving equal time” to evolution; he’s spreading around false things to make Creationism look good. All that does is hurt students. I hope this video gets out more, and the state does something about that kind of ridiculousness.

I went to a high school where the majority of the people were religious Christians. When it was time for my Biology teacher to teach Evolution, she still did. Lots of my fellow classmates rebelled against it, and finally she just said something along the lines of, “Evolution does not disprove God or God’s message. If you don’t want to learn about Evolution, fine, you don’t have to. You can just fail this class.”

Godless Girl · July 6, 2010 at 11:35 am

How about we give equal time to the “theory” that aliens have come to our planet and inhabited it? That has just as much validity in the science classroom as this shit… maybe even more since, you know, other planets at least exist.

Laura · July 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

“How can I tell these kids that their ideas are trash”??? Seriously? Don’t you realize that it’s your JOB as a teacher to teach them FACTS, not make them feel good??? That’s TERRIBLE! And the skin thing? Ouch.

We were a classroom of God-fearing people, but our evolution lecture didn’t go like that. In the schools I attended, the teachers rushed over the unit, teaching the bare minimum, even one who was an atheist (I believe). I think he just didn’t feel like debating anymore after several years of it. In my biology class, we just had a brief discussion where one of the kids said it didn’t matter how God made the world, he just did, and that ended that. At my Christian college, we didn’t talk about it at all (to my recollection–I spent the entire class doodling, so I may have missed it, but I would have perked up over an evolution talk, so I don’t think I did).

That video was painful to watch.

Andrew Hall · July 6, 2010 at 6:55 pm

The First Step is to understand that you are a redneck hillbilly person.

Then the healing can start.

Guy · July 7, 2010 at 7:28 am

whoa……….

matt · July 10, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Why is this video showing up everywhere lately? It’s from 15 years ago.

April · July 21, 2010 at 8:12 am

Bleck! Are you trying to make me hurl?

Joe Unseen · July 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

That YouTube Acct no longer exists. (Unlike God which never existed.)

Tweets that mention Creationism in the Classroom | Godless Girl -- Topsy.com · July 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by GodlessGirl, Åsa Dahlström Heuser. Åsa Dahlström Heuser said: "Creationism in the Classroom | Godless Girl" – http://bit.ly/bVOH62 via @Apture […]

Louisiana School Board Considers Adding Creationism to Science Class | Godless Girl · July 26, 2010 at 10:43 am

[…] is it about the South and teaching creationism in school? Here comes another one: The Livingston Parish School Board will begin exploring the possibility of […]