From the youtube video: CitizenLink [a Focus on the Family affiliate] Education Analyst Candi Cushman offers tips on what to look for and tools to help parents push back against the gay agenda in local schools.

Quote: “There’s a lot of talk about tolerance: We need to be accepting and embracing and tolerant. But there’s not a whole lot of tolerance or embracing or accepting of Christian values and the families that want their children raised with Christian values.”

So now we must tolerate prejudice and bigotry? We need to embrace “values” that shame other human beings for their most precious and core traits? Maybe I’m unable to tolerate their “values” as valid ideas because I see them as fundamentally unacceptable and harmful to others.

24 thoughts on “Beware teh gay! Protect your children!”

Ray · August 26, 2010 at 6:05 pm

That video has made me slightly gay and I must blame you for the effect. Luckily for me, it’s just made me far more fabulous!

The US and this fundamentalist bullshit scares me. For a secular country with all sorts of great leaps forward, your countrypersons seem intent on returning to the very environment that created the States.

Godless Girl · August 27, 2010 at 1:25 am

It just boggles my mind why two people loving one another causes some people to run and hide. Go figure.

Ray · August 28, 2010 at 4:07 am

Exactly. Gay people are people and so should enjoy everything that people can enjoy – marriage, adoption/childbirth (where physically possible)/benefits and so on.

Rhacodactylus · August 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I think I must have missed a news letter, why won’t anyone tell me what the gay agenda is? I’m sure i’d support it, if only I could figure it out.

Ray · August 28, 2010 at 4:06 am

It involves fabrics, fabulousness and fun. Unfortunately, the agenda is completely secret but they do break for coffee at 10am.

Jacob · August 26, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I don’t get why somebody can’t stand against something. I can’t help but feel like if the name tag on the “antagonist” was something besides “Christianity” you would led it slide. Not that I’m supporting what is going with the viewpoints in this clip.

I just think that you pinning all of people’s idiocy on Christianity is just as ignorant as stereotyping any other group for something. Real Christianity doesn’t function like the Catholic church or so many other things where we have spokespeople or a head leader. Our book is the bible(in it’s totality) and our spokesperson is Jesus. And for the record, God says homosexuals will not make it to heaven, but at no point does he say hate homosexuals, kill them, deny them humanity and respect.

As for the bad apples, the bible itself states that there will be bad churches and good churches that call themselves Christianity. The book of revelations addresses several churches who had gone wrong at that time even. The bible warns of false teachers and prophets and fake believers. Stop listening to the media or even to one or two pastors for your take on Christianity. If you want to criticize Christianity, look at Christ as the standard and then decide. Christianity is not ignorant hate like Islam is not suicidal terrorism and African Americans are not undereducated thieves.

Get real people. Don’t fight lump sum judgment with lump sum judgment.

Sorry for any rough sounding language. You know I respect this blog and you, GGirl, I’m just venting a little frustration. Thanks for the chance! 🙂

Godless Girl · August 27, 2010 at 12:50 am

I think I finally ruffled your feathers somehow, Jacob. I’m surprised.

“Listen to the media?” Judge the religion based on “bad apples?” My atheism doesn’t come from television or radio or the internet. My views on whether god exists or not were not formed because of hypocrites or a loud-mouthed minority.

My views came from study, theological and philosophical exploration, prayer, critical thinking, and eventually having the proverbial balls to realize I had been mistaken my whole life about the thing I held most dear. That is where my views on religion come from—not where you assume they do because it’s easier for you to believe that I’m a sheep following the first negative view I hear.

Jacob, I spent my entire life as a passionate, active believer. The last person you should accuse of cherry picking or misunderstanding the greater scope of the religion is someone who has spent years being Catholic, protestant, messianic, conservative, liberal, and a lot more in between. Your assumptions about me are incorrect.

And all of that has nothing to do with my hatred of homophobic bigotry and the prejudice against people who are “different” and claiming it as a higher morality.

I hope you don’t take my tone too harshly. I’m a bit fed up with people assuming what I think and why I think it.

Jacob · August 28, 2010 at 5:53 am

GGirl, thanks for responding. I should apologize to you. I come onto your blog site in an effort to dialogue with you, specifically. And amidst all the blogginess, I sometimes get off track try and address you with all your bloggers or even you with all the atheists of the world. So. I’m sorry!!!!!

Funny enough, your last sentence mirrored mine. Guess we both hate getting hit with generalized assumption, eh? 🙂 I wrote you an email too, but I figured the apology part should be public. Cheers!

Godless Girl · August 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

You’re a good sport, Jacob. All’s well with us!

dartigen · August 27, 2010 at 5:19 am

I still don’t get why people think homosexuality is going to hurt them in any way.

I mean, it’s been around since the Ancient Greeks (and probably earlier – that’s just where we definitely know it was) and nothing bad ever came of it. (It’s actually theorised that the Spartans were the better for it.)

How is homosexuality now any different to homosexuality in ancient Athens?

Besides, if homosexuality was such a bad thing, nobody would do it.

Godless Girl · August 28, 2010 at 12:51 am

Well it’s easy to play “devil’s advocate” with that last statement. If murder/rape/lying/cheating/abuse/whatever was such a bad thing, nobody would do it.

Just saying that doesn’t really work in the minds of those who see homosexuality as a sin.

Doubting Timmy · August 27, 2010 at 7:02 am

“And for the record, God says homosexuals will not make it to heaven, but at no point does he say hate homosexuals, kill them, deny them humanity and respect.”

Lev. 20:13 “If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them”

For the record.

Harold · June 8, 2011 at 10:53 pm

That just goes to show the lack of knowledge of anatomy of the Bible writers. A man can’t lie with a male as with a woman: no vagina.

But seriously, several verses of the New Testament say that the old laws, including Leviticus, no longer apply. On the other hand, several verses say the old laws do apply: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/otlaw.html. So people get to pick and choose.

iforgotmyname · August 27, 2010 at 10:57 am

hehe, funny how they immediately launch into, ‘search the libraries’, as if there is no human problem that cannot be solved with a little censorship/book burning!

It’s tough to respect what they call ‘values’ when those ideas are harmful to others… you don’t get to tell others that they are ‘evil’! what’s so hard about that?

@jacob: it seemed clear to me that the author’s comments were directed at the speakers in the video or the organization they represent rather than Real Christianity® in general.
Maybe you are indulging in a bit of the same christian persecution complex played on by the speakers in the video to construct the argument that that not allowing them to hate gays is somehow intolerant of their values.

elf_man · August 28, 2010 at 2:20 am

Admittedly, some of the content in that Queer 13 book isn’t particularly age appropriate, or would require very sensitive and careful teaching to make it work. Dunno, depends on how the book is taught.

However, that’s a nitpick on my part that would exist from any perspective. It’s important to notice those kinds of… practical details that could easily be controversial, and easily become focal points that let their “values” slip past; accepting a valid criticism doesn’t mean accepting the whole context. The Christian framing regarding tolerance and their so-called “values” is a lot of b.s.

Ani Sharmin · August 28, 2010 at 6:50 pm

“So now we must tolerate prejudice and bigotry? We need to embrace ‘values’ that shame other human beings for their most precious and core traits? Maybe I’m unable to tolerate their ‘values’ as valid ideas because I see them as fundamentally unacceptable and harmful to others.”

Exactly!

This entire video disgusts me. When that lady was talking about the gay agenda being sneaking, I immediately thought that this is actually what religious groups do. They sneakily try to get their religious beliefs in the classroom and pretend that they are being fair, when they are really being prejudiced.

William Belle · August 31, 2010 at 2:57 pm

As I watched this video, my jaw dropped. This has got to be a joke; they can’t be serious. Oh but how serious they are. Religious fundamentalism whether it be Christian or otherwise is frightening in its conviction of righteousness. If I may be so bold as to take a page from their book, the Ninth Commandment reads:

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
(Exodus 20:16)

Stop. Think. Reflect. If you are about to rise up against your neighbor, something is very, very wrong.

Three Ninjas · September 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

My girlfriend’s kids start school today. I MUST WARN THEM!!!!

Ahab · September 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm

The rhetoric and strategies of this Citizen Link video (i.e., suspicion of anti-bullying programs) is sickening. Funny how Christian fundamentalists demand tolerance for their beliefs (no matter how nonsensical or bigoted), but they refuse to tolerate the beliefs of others.

grasshopper · September 8, 2010 at 6:38 am

I agree with your post up until this point: “Maybe I’m unable to tolerate their “values” as valid ideas because I see them as fundamentally unacceptable and harmful to others.” This quote is an exact echo of the reasons that they feel they can’t tolerate homosexuality in their society. It’s purely subjective.

I’m sure you made this statement with objective reasons in mind for having a prejudice against their ideas. I only mean to illustrate how their sentiments mirror our own, while having different principles behind them.

Godless Girl · September 12, 2010 at 2:53 am

You’re right; a lot if this is based on subjective opinion.

leanne · September 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm

y’know, if they’re that concerned with having their children in schools and being taught ‘unchristian things’.. why don’t they just send them to a private christian school?

Anonymous · August 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Twitter Trackbacks…

Changing Opinions: 4 Controversies in the Past 5 Years | Godless Girl · September 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

[…] Check out my other posts on Gay Marriage and Homophobia in schools. […]