ok god, i'm ready to believe. show me the evidence

via wtfschmuck.tumblr.com

Any deity that refuses evidence honors the intellectually dishonest, the ignorant, and the gullible.

… Or this deity is totally hands-off and doesn’t give a shit, which basically means we don’t need to give a shit either.

… Or this deity doesn’t exist.

Choices, choices.

19 thoughts on “I’m Ready to Believe!”

_7654_ · August 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Well, that’s about sums it up right there. For whatever is offered, under the title of evidence in regard to a god does not even rise to the level drivel. And that is sad. Not that there is no real evidence to prove the existence of a god, any god, but the fact that so many people fall for the trappings of religion.

FOD · August 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm

What type of evidence would you require in order to believe in God? Certainly theists think that there are good reasons to believe in God. But I assume that any evidence given, you would categorically refuse.

So, the issue is not so much that “there is no evidence that God exists,” but is more a question about the nature of evidence. Either way, I think the issue is more complex than you would admit.

FOD IS FULL OF IT · August 17, 2010 at 12:37 am

FOD – let’s START with the type of evidence that one of my senses can recognize as opposed to a figment of your imagination.

FOD · August 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

To the person who thinks I am “full of it.” Your first mistake is that I am outright defending theism. I am not. My intuition is that I am not a theist, but I find the issue much more complex than you do.

What is a “figment of the imagination” and why is it wrong to believe in such things? Even atheists believe in things that would be nothing more than a “figment of your imagination” if by that you mean nothing more than something that has no evidence that your senses can recognize. “Murder is wrong” is obviously a true statement, but it has nothing to do with evidence that comes from any of the five senses.

I am willing to admit that all of ethics is a figment of the human imagination, but I am also willing to admit that the imagination has an evolutionary purpose that can lead us to reasonable beliefs. But, like always, the militant atheists are not actually concerned about science. They are concerned about undermining theism. Of course I am not saying we should believe every whim of our imagination, but I think that our ability to think beyond the evidence or what is immediately ahead of us in terms of our five senses is a good thing.

momofanagnostic · August 18, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Would you be willing to chat with me privately GG? I’m intrigued, and I’m not really interested in anyone elses “2 cents”. No attempts to change your mind, I promise. Just pure curiosity. [Sure! email removed -GG]

Jacob · August 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I’m just throwing this out there. I haven’t really considered this thought with all that much care, but it stuck out so I’ll share it. I heard someone say that a God who can be measured in the laws, principles, and physics of this world would have to be subject to those things, which in effect would mean he/she/it is not at all a God.

In the bible, God claims “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8,9

I think regardless of atheist or buddhist or whatever, that holds as a pretty good definition for the nature of a God. But again, I’m just putting this a conversational seed. 🙂

Joyell · January 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm

The problem with that is your quote isn’t from “God,” it’s from Isaiah. He was a man, not a god.

Peter · August 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I’m curious, have you looked for evidence for God, or have you only looked for evidence against God? Perhaps, God has not revealed Himself to you because you have not honestly sought Him. Why would He bother if you don’t want Him anyways? Obviously, I don’t know if these statements are accurate, just some things you can think about if you wish.

Godless Girl · August 22, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Since I was a spirit-filled christian wannabe missionary and all that jazz, I’m petty much experienced in the “seeing god everywhere/faith through adversity” thing.

And yet, none of that held up against reason and honest searching. Too bad, really, since I loved being a believer.

Roof Woofer · August 22, 2010 at 7:08 pm

The author of this cute statement assumes that:

(1) The God of the universe gives two hoots about whether you believe in him or not

(2) If he did, God would go to great lengths to leave breadcrumbs that you (a) would be capable of understanding, and (b) you would consent to consider credible enough to accept

(3) If and when you “believed in him” through that evidence, you’d be in a position to be in the sort of relationship with him that he’d want.

Those are pretty broad assumptions. Are we really the center of the universe?

I’ll pay more attention to strong atheists when they come up with a reasonable evidence-based hypothesis about what preceded the Big Bang. Until then, the evidence for atheism lacks a lot.

Mike · August 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm

@roof woofer……There are a number of valid posits as to what preceded the big bang. What was there before god? God always was? The universe always was. I am surprised to see such a weak argument trotted forth with such enthusiasm.

Worse, christians and other related faiths pull out these and the old “you can’t prove a negative” arguments as though the merest thought that a deity is possible makes it a certainty that their particular faith must therefore be correct. That’s quite a stretch.

Roof Woofer · August 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

@Mike – you’ll notice I didn’t suggest that the possibility (or probability) of a deity makes my particular faith correct. I was talking about the assumption by some atheists (amusingly expressed in the post) that the lack of evidence that they consider compelling constitutes an argument for the nonexistence of God. “The universe always was” is a statement of faith, not something grounded in scientific evidence.

What are those valid posits about what preceded the Big Bang? I’m serious – I would like to read about them. I’ve seen lots of writing that assumes that that case has been made, but I haven’t run across the discussion itself.

A significant keystone for a materialist atheist position would seem to be that origins of matter and energy can be traced back to where they all started without eventually needing to assume a Creator — something/someone that was there before “stuff” was. Spontaneous generation has been pretty generally disproved, so I’m wondering what those who believe in non-supernatural origins actually say.

And yes, a theist would say, as you put it, that God always was. That’s the point, isn’t it? — that theists say that God is eternal and created everything while atheists say no before-everything creator existed or needs to exist to explain the universe.

Roof Woofer · August 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

Sorry – bad editing. The last sentence in the first paragraph should come at the end of the second paragraph. I plead the need for more espresso.

zion · September 9, 2010 at 8:39 am

Here is your proof. Watch it all the way through.

Roof Woofer · September 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thanks, Zion, but I think perhaps you aren’t quite picking up on the concerns expressed here. Appreciate your weighing in, though.

Peter · September 14, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Godless girl
I advise you reading three books, I’m sure that in them you will find the anwsers, that you didn’t find when you where a believer

-Law of One – by Ra a humble messenger of the law of one
-Seth speaks – the ethernal validity of the Soul
-The spirits book – Allan Kardec

After reading these books you may start seeing things diferently

Theres so much evidence in our days that we are spiritual beings , that we continue with consciousness and awareness after the body dies

As for evidence of GOD , turn in to a humble person, open your eyes and look around

Focusing on GOD is like staring at the Sun, you’ll be blinded

Godless Girl · September 15, 2010 at 12:32 am

“So much evidence” eh? As in, evidence that’s not wishful thinking, guessing, imagination, personal testimony, totally unobservable, unfalsifiable, myth, superstition, or outside of the scientific method? Feel free to share a few specifics with us from your books.

Tweets that mention I’m Ready to Believe! | Godless Girl -- Topsy.com · August 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by GodlessGirl, lostaddress. lostaddress said: RT @godlessgirl: [email protected]: I'm Ready to Believe! http://is.gd/ekxey […]