Comedian Steve Mar­tin grabbed the mic at the New Or­leans Jazz Fest on April 29, 2010. Together with The Steep Canyon Rangers, he shared what he called “the entire atheist hymnal” (on one page of paper). Hilarious!

Atheists Don’t Have No Songs (AKA The Atheist Hymnal)
Chris­tians have their hymns and pages,
Hava Nag­i­la’s for the Jews,
Bap­tists have the rock of ages,
Athe­ists just sing the blues.

Ro­man­tics play Claire de Lune,
Born agains sing “He is risen,”
But no one ever wrote a tune,
For god­less ex­is­ten­tial­ism.

For Athe­ists there’s no good news. They’ll never sing a song of faith.
In their songs they have a rule: the “he” is al­ways low­er­case.
The “he” is al­ways low­er­case.

Some folks sing a Bach can­ta­ta,
Luther­ans get Christ­mas trees,
Athe­ist songs add up to nada,
But they do have Sun­days free.

Pentecostals sing to heav­en,
Cop­tics have the books of scrolls,
Nu­merol­o­gists can count to seven,
Athe­ists have rock and roll.

For Athe­ists there’s no good news. They’ll never sing a song of faith.
In their songs they have a rule: the “he” is al­ways low­er­case.
The “he” is al­ways low­er­case.

Atheists don’t have no songs.
Chris­tians have their hymns and pages,
Hava Nag­i­la’s for the Jews,
Bap­tists have the rock of ages,
Athe­ists just sing the blues.

Catholics dress up for Mass,
And lis­ten to, Gre­go­ri­an chants.
Athe­ists just take a pass, Watch foot­ball in their un­der­pants.
Watch foot­ball in their un­der­pants.

Atheists don’t have no songs.

Performed live on April 29, 2010 by Steve Mar­tin and The Steep Canyon Rangers

19 thoughts on “‘Atheists Don’t Have No Songs’ (with Lyrics)”

Ahab · September 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Well, atheists do have a few songs. “Why Don’t Bees Go to Heaven” is a charming little ditty, for instance. The symphonic band Epica has recorded several atheist songs, and there will always be a soft spot in my heart for “Jesus He Knows Me” by Genesis.

Andrew Hall · September 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I’ve been doing some Atheist tunes.

Dr Rotwang! · September 21, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yes. Atheists do have rock ‘n’ roll.

Aletta Ocean Blog · October 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Extremely beneficial posting. I just bookmark your web site plus would like to say that I have really appreciated while reading your posts. Thank you for spreading the knowledge with all.

bambisharon · December 23, 2010 at 7:06 am

Does anyone remember Monty Python’s “All Things Dull and Ugly,” a parody of the sweet little children’s hymn sung in English chapels each school morning? (“All Things Bright and Beaufiful”)

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.

Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid–
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen.

This is worth listening to with its innocent children’s voices to add to the satire, and is really far more clever theologically than the Steve Martin bit. Better rhyming and rhyme scheme, too.

Maurizio · March 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Funny, but a I think that Atheists have a great hymn: Imagine, by John Lennon.

MADDIEX · December 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

He also sang “imagine no possessions” but as we all know, he didn’t personally subscribe to that one either.

Funzo · July 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I always liked “They Ain’t Makin’ Jews Like Jesus Anymore” by Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys.

Godless Girl · July 11, 2011 at 11:10 pm

haha that’s a new one to me, but I’ll listen to it because of the title alone!

Steve · January 23, 2012 at 6:31 am

My Methodist Church played the video during services yesterday.
It was ‘music’ Sunday, and the theme was…uh, music… string theory, vibration, sound, and how we might say God used the “Word” – sound – to create matter.
A bit over my head of course, but that’s God for you – a bit smarter than I am.

Of course atheists have hymns – I thought of the ‘Internationale’.

Most everyone knows the power of and loves music.
I wonder if the materialist and atheist communists who sang the Internationale ever gave thought to exactly what insubstantial, non-quantifiable, and non-material ‘part’ of them it was that was ‘inspired’ and moved by their hymn.

bish777 · April 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I’ll field that one-its not insubstantial, its an arrangement of neurons! There you go. You can ditch the safety blanket and play grown up with the rest of us!

maurice · August 14, 2012 at 10:09 am

there you go..typical smug remark,like you know what an arrangement of neurons actually means.. ha ha.. more like derangement of morons

animal lovers · April 10, 2016 at 11:22 pm

May I simply just say what a relief to discover someone that truly understands what they’re discussing online.
You definitely know how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
More and more people have to look at this and understand this side of your story.

I was surprised that you are not more popular because you certainly
possess the gift.

travel Destination · April 24, 2016 at 1:17 am

Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I
am waiting for your further post thanks once again.

food blog · August 17, 2016 at 1:36 am

First of all I would like to say terrific blog!

I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if
you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like
the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost simply just trying to figure out how
to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Cheers!

gry android vr · August 17, 2016 at 3:40 pm

If you would like to obtain much from this post then you have to apply these
techniques to your won weblog.

aplikacje na androida download · August 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Wow! Finally I got a webpage from where I know
how to truly take valuable information regarding
my study and knowledge.

news · September 7, 2016 at 4:47 am

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff
previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here,
certainly like what you’re saying and the
way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it
sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.

Tweets that mention ‘Atheists Don’t Have No Songs’ (with Lyrics) | Godless Girl -- Topsy.com · September 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by _7654_, Dave Robbins and David Lerner, Vizhnet. Vizhnet said: RT @godlessgirl: New blog: The video and lyrics of Steve Martin's "Atheist Hymnal" http://wp.me/psktD-CS #atheism #music […]