jump for joy

photo by sarahephoto

Happy one year “outiversary” to me!

It was exactly one year ago that I came out godless to my mother. Declaring myself to her is the biggest step I’ve taken in my transition out of Christianity into atheism. It was scary! I can happily relate that she and I are slowly repairing the broken emotional divide between us, and I see a life of acceptance and respect ahead. At least, that’s what I dearly hope for every day. Love you, Mom!

I just wanted to spread heaps of love today and give out virtual hugs to all of you who have been with me through this long, complicated process. Revealing such a deep, personal  secret to one’s family is difficult, but I have all of you to thank for the courage you give me to be myself and be proud of it. It’s not over yet, but I’m on my way!

Read more about coming out atheist and share your own stories 🙂

24 thoughts on “My Outiversary: One Year!”

Henway · October 31, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Congratulations! Even though it may have been scary, I know you are grateful that you are living a life of honesty, instead of living a “fake” life. I’m glad you and your mom are slowly learning to respect each other, even though you have different beliefs.

Godless Girl · October 31, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Thank you very much!

Andrew Hall · October 31, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Congratulations on your first anniversary!

TheSecretAtheist · October 31, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Congratulations to you! I hope that I will, one day, be able to celebrate the same thing!

Godless Girl · October 31, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I hope that for you too!

Egoistpaul · October 31, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Congratulations. Now, you are ready for your first true atheist Christmas this year. For instructions, you can read the Boobquake Goddess’ “Atheist’s Guide to Christmas.”

Perigee-syzygy · October 31, 2010 at 9:38 pm

“Outiversary” – ha, that’s awesome. This post made me go to the calender to figure out mine… September 23, 2007. Outta christianity anyway, although I didn’t go cold turkey atheist;)I’m happy with my undefined spirituality for now…

I’m new to this blog… I really like your posts and writing style:)
Congrats!

Godless Girl · October 31, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Thanks very much! I was in the closet for over a year before telling anyone in my family. It was a big day one year ago!

Cap'n Jammer · October 31, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Congrats. My mother is the only person I haven’t come out to, because she’s old and will probably die soon anyway. I’m going to let her continue to believe we’ll see each other again some day. Everyone else knows, and my Facebook friends list has reduced drastically over the past few years. It has been worth it, though, and now I have a beautiful fiancee and a life I’m not afraid to guide in the direction I want to go anymore.

Godless Girl · October 31, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I’m sorry you have to face the loss of your mother soon. I might do the same thing if I were you. I’m glad your life is so positive now!

greateighthsin · November 1, 2010 at 4:05 am

Congrats! Glad to hear that you and your mom are slowly coming to good terms. I am thankful to be a part of a family that isn’t religious (agnostic and deist parents) so “coming out” was an easy thing for me. I hope someday that every atheist can experience the easy “outing” that I went through.

leanne · November 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm

whoops! i posted this on the other entry:

“i FINALLY came out to my mother as an atheist about two weeks ago and i was astonished at how receptive she was. she didn’t act like it made me not as good of a person or ANYTHING. she also admitted that the only reason she had me baptized as a baby was to get my great grandmother to shut the hell up.”

Tom · November 4, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Congrats on your Outiversary!

I happened on your blog today, a few days late to celebrate on the date. However, some celebrations should be ongoing.

I’ll have to get my wife to tell me more of how she came to atheism, or see if she would share it with your readers here.

In my own case, I was raised in the Episcopal church until I reached age eight or nine. I went to my mother one day and said that I didn’t see that going to church made me any better a person, and Mom never took me to church again. It seems that as a child of about that age herself, she had decided that the god her Catholic parents wanted her to believe in was no more real than the tooth fairy, based on her life experience to that date.

I first remember using the term atheist as a self-descriptor when I was in eighth grade. I suppose I could have been saying so with the intent to rebel more than anything else, but I found myself sticking to my guns when the teacher challenged me on it. What surprised me was that she backed down a bit, to the point of saying that the bible was literature and thus worth reading. I read enough of it to see it as fables.

That’s been more than thirty years ago. The “God Virus” still infects many of our contemporaries, but some of us somehow get well.

Godless Girl · November 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Glad you stumbled over here! And thank you for the good wishes.

I have to say, I was not very rational as a kid. I usually went along with what I was taught and enjoyed it! I admire people who could see things in other ways at a young age.

MadiixMascara · November 7, 2010 at 7:27 am

I’m glad I grew out of the whole atheism thing, hopefully you guys will too.

Seriously, this is kinda sad.

Matthew Temple · November 7, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Kind of a simplistic slam, eh Madiix? Think you might want to grow *into* some adult conversation instead of just dropping bombs and running off? If you engage in real conversation, I know Godless Girl to be someone who engages in discourse.

Matthew Temple · November 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm

And if you share your real ideas, instead of a subtextual insult, we all might benefit from the conversation. With love, Matthew

Not Guilty · November 7, 2010 at 5:49 pm

When will you grow out of believing in fairy tales? Santa = fairy tale; tooth fairy = fairy tale; god = fairy tale.

Scott · November 7, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Did you grow out of not believing in Santa Claus, too?

mcbender · November 8, 2010 at 9:53 am

I’m glad I grew out of that whole religion thing; hopefully you will too.

See how easy that was? And I’ve added nothing to this discussion.

Seriously, this is more than “kinda” sad.

Riding West · November 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm

MM – Nice troll attempt 😎

Michael · November 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I’m with MM. This is sad. And smug. And self-congradulatory. And solipsistic. I’ll say a prayer for you, AG.

Tweets that mention My Outiversary: One Year! | Godless Girl -- Topsy.com · October 31, 2010 at 4:57 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by GodlessGirl and Rob B., Reverend Evolution. Reverend Evolution said: My Outiversary: One Year!: photo by sarahephotoHappy one year “outiversary” to me!It was exactly one year ago that… http://bit.ly/bJ9qxu […]

Tweets that mention My Outiversary: One Year! | Godless Girl -- Topsy.com · November 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by GodlessGirl, EveDestiny and Joshua M, Holly:Newman. Holly:Newman said: RT @godlessgirl: Someone suggests I "grow out" of this "atheism thing" http://is.gd/gONiH #atheist #lol […]