Comedians … and usually only comedians. The rest of us need to be polite and respectful of other beliefs—or so I’m told.

Here’s a hilarious gem from David Cross of Arrested Development fame. If I could see a live routine, I’d be in heaven (riding in the back of my hot pink Hummer limo with St. Michael acting as my chauffeur).

Hat Tip: The Good Atheist

9 thoughts on “Who’s Allowed to Make Fun of Religion?”

krissthesexyatheist · April 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’ll tell ya who…me/you/us aka The New Atheists.

Kriss

Ed klein · April 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Hilarious!
I was forced into being a catholic, baptized, confirmed, altar boy and hundreds of weekends at church. Can I make fun of religion now that I’m engaging in rational, free thought? Godamn right I can!

Harold · April 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Everybody’s a comedian.

Xtine · April 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm

The people who do the best job of making fun of religion, are the people who once-upon-a-time really, really believed the stuff. So many comedians totally miss the mark – though not all. I’m pretty critical of religious satire – because so often the satire exposes how much the comedian doesn’t understand about the subject they are skewering. The same argument could be made for serious debaters – maybe.

O- and Kris is allowed to do whatever he likes under any circumstance.

Godless Girl · May 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm

The same argument could be made for serious debaters – maybe.

So many arguments against Christianity (or atheism, for that matter) fall flat because the person making the argument lacks a full understanding. If I had a nickel for every sweeping generalization or faulty use of vocabulary or text…
    Ah well!

Harold · May 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm

That seems like an easy out for apologists. I mean, some people really do argue out of ignorance, but you can also move the goalposts when faced with a solid argument and claim victory.

Xtine · April 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Furthermore – David Cross should totally do a Jay Bakker routine – because he totally could. He just needs to add some piercings and face tatts – and a five oclock shadow – and he’d totally nail it… (Full disclosure – i think Jay is cute as a button).

Lisa · April 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Love your site. Hope you don’t mind, but I linked you on my blog.

Keep up the fantastic work! See you around the ‘net.