photo by Steve Rhodes

I read some shocking facts about rape in the United states from Ms. Magazine:

1. The FBI’s definition of “forcible rape” in their Uniform Crime Report (UCR): “The carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.” [PDF]
  2. What that definition leaves out: anal, oral and statutory rape; incest; rape with an object, finger or fist; rape of men
  3. Number of men raped in any year, according to the UCR: 0 [PDF]
  4. Estimated number of men actually raped each year, according to the Dept. of Justice: 93,000 [PDF]

Some of the most offensive facts:

Percentage of rape reports deemed “unfounded” by New Orleans police in 2008: 60 percent

Percentage of rape reports deemed “unfounded” by Baltimore police in 2009: 32 percent

Percentage of actual estimated false rape reports in any given year according to research studies: 2-8 percent

What a Philadelphia police officer once called his city’s sex crimes unit: “The lying bitches unit.”

Read more here.

There is a petition available asking the FBI to modernize the definition of rape. Sign it here.

I was a victim. I deserve to be counted.

Check out a previous post about preventing rape and one about rape in the Bible.

14 thoughts on “Rape is Rape”

Stacie · May 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I gladly signed. <3

I was a victim, too, and these statistics make me sick.

Godless Girl · May 3, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thank you, Stacie. I’m sorry we have to go so far as a petition to be counted correctly, but I hope people speaking out like this will help things.

Andrew Hall · May 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Well, that is particularly distiburbing.

Godless Girl · May 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

Yep, it’s a sad world we live in.

Kaitlyn Amber · May 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

some people these days make me sick. your right Godless Girl, it is a sad world we live in, but if it’s so sad why don’t people change it?

Alayna · May 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm

signed! Thank you for bringing this out into the open…it’s an extremely important issue that needs to be addressed..here’s hoping! Fingers crossed..
Alayna

Xtine · May 5, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Signed, sealed, delivered. Just plucked the Ms. magazine off the library shelf while at work – and then saw this. Sign from God, right? 🙂 The ‘rape of men’ element is so important to add – I’m glad to see it. It is extremely ‘archaic’ to not consider the rape of boys/men as rape. Of course – so good to see women rally around this issue too! It makes me sad to think we still live in world that tells boys/men, our brothers, fathers, partners, friends, to be stoic and utterly silent about sexual abuse/rape.

CJ · May 6, 2011 at 2:53 pm

The definition of carnal is that which is pertaining to or characterized by the flesh or the body, its passions and appetites. Why does that exclude anything but vaginal intercourse?

Ahab · May 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I agree. Every victim of sexual violence deserves to be counted and taken seriously. While victims still have an uphill battle, things are definitely better for victims than they were fifty years ago, thanks to dedicated activists.

Eliza_57 · May 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for the post! I haven’t read Ms. magazine in forever. Also, I signed the petition.

Lester · May 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

I signed happily. I am a bit queasy whe I read things like this. Keep pushing the word out!

MariaShavzin · July 21, 2011 at 5:58 pm

My heart goes out to all people who have been violated, of course. But THINK for a moment; They need to keep the statistics the exact same way. If they change the way they count all the data becomes USELESS! The numbers will say that rape has doubled, but not because more rape is occurring, but because we are counting twice as many cases. These numbers are NOT kept to honor the victims and make them feel like they are counted!!! these numbers are there TO HELP LAW ENFORCEMENT and to help congress distribute funds. Lets not mess with it just to be politically correct.

But also, Im sorry but not all rape is the same degree. Someone who has had their home broken into and held at knife point and violated while in fear of death can not even be COMPARED to some girl who decided to go to a frat party wearing a t shirt and no bra whose ex boyfriend took advantage of her drunk state. Sorry, but how you act should be counted in the incident. Lets not throw around slogans instead of thinking. One rape is not necessarily as bad as another. Its that simple.

Roberto · April 7, 2012 at 12:06 am

Well-said. It’s something that more people need to realize. But it wouldn’t hurt if the law enforcement kept more than one set of statistics (for different types of rape). That way they’d count everyone but still be able to compare previous years.

Jim Jones · October 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Quote: What a Philadelphia police officer once called his city’s sex crimes unit: “The lying bitches unit.”

In Seattle WA I’ve heard it called the Women’s Revenge Unit.