adaptation of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling by Tom Blackwell

J. Anderson Thomson is a psychiatrist at the University of Virginia. In a recent LA Times opinion post he expounds on the biological reasons we humans created the idea of God in the first place, and what role that belief serves psychologically.

I find these reasons for faith fascinating, and I see how they have been present in my own life.

Like our physiological DNA, the psychological mechanisms behind faith evolved over the eons through natural selection. They helped our ancestors work effectively in small groups and survive and reproduce, traits developed long before recorded history, from foundations deep in our mammalian, primate and African hunter-gatherer past.

For example, we are born with a powerful need for attachment, identified as long ago as the 1940s by psychiatrist John Bowlby and expanded on by psychologist Mary Ainsworth. Individual survival was enhanced by protectors, beginning with our mothers. Attachment is reinforced physiologically through brain chemistry, and we evolved and retain neural networks completely dedicated to it. We easily expand that inborn need for protectors to authority figures of any sort, including religious leaders and, more saliently, gods. God becomes a super parent, able to protect us and care for us even when our more corporeal support systems disappear, through death or distance.

Among the psychological adaptations related to religion are our need for reciprocity, our tendency to attribute unknown events to human agency, our capacity for romantic love, our fierce “out-group” hatreds and just as fierce loyalties to the in groups of kin and allies. Religion hijacks these traits.

In addition to these adaptations, humans have developed the remarkable ability to think about what goes on in other people’s minds and create and rehearse complex interactions with an unseen other. In our minds we can de-couple cognition from time, place and circumstance. We consider what someone else might do in our place; we project future scenarios; we replay past events. It’s an easy jump to say, conversing with the dead or to conjuring gods and praying to them.

I know (quite acutely, in fact) that I have a great need for attachment and a sense of another authority; I also possess a tendency to be intuitive or over-analytical about what someone else is thinking and feeling. I have certainly assigned motives and reasons to events that have no human agent.

All of these factors only encompass what I know consciously about myself and how faith has played a role in my life in the past. The chemistry of my brain and the more subtle evolutionary reasons for belief–well, those cannot be controlled. I can only use my reasoning and understanding to choose a different reaction when confronted with the concepts of a great “Other” or supernatural events.

“God”  and faith are crafted to fulfill some of our needs and natural inclinations. They are presented to us as a catch-all solution to these inborn “problems.” Do you need love and someone to care for you? God will do it! Do you have a tendency to cling to a group and fear the “others?” Religion is perfect for you!  Do you get that tingly feeling that someone is in the room with you when you meditate? That’s a god!

This, of course, doesn’t mean gods are real, but it does illustrate that we have a desire to answer questions and fulfill needs that come naturally to us. When we supply imaginary beings as the answer to the human condition, we’re doing ourselves and our descendants a disservice. It’s much more difficult to see the world objectively and accept the fact that we’re on our own, but it’s empowering and spurs on positive change in society. Why take personal responsibility when it’s much more comforting to know someone else is in charge of the rules who wants us to succeed? Because we will be a better, more altruistic society if we take charge of our actions and how they affect others.

We can be better as a species if we recognize religion as a man-made construct. We owe it to ourselves to at least consider the real roots of religious belief, so we can deal with life as it is, taking advantage of perhaps our mind’s greatest adaptation: our ability to use reason.

I agree!

10 thoughts on “God Is a Man-Made Invention”

tom · August 31, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hmmm, so he read the “masters of suspicion.” Good, but this is old news. At best he skimmed Dennett’s latest work. Nothing to see here people.

Andrew Hall · September 1, 2011 at 12:54 am

Michael Shermer’s newest book “The Believing Brain” goes into this matter quite a bit — it’s quite a good read.

andrew parker · September 13, 2011 at 2:19 am

Let me know when you’ve ascended above atheist YouTube trolling chestnuts

ROYGBIV · September 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm

After reading several articles on this blog and skimming through many titles here, I have to wonder…why does a girl who is atheist care so much about God and religion? You my friend are closer to God than you’d ever care to believe.

k77 · September 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Why do I care about the set of mental instructions that form the self-replicating virus you call ‘God’?

Why do I care about disease? Why do I care if my town in on fire?

I care about the god-virus for the exact same reason: because it’s a destructive force that threatens me and the future of my species.

Here’s a deal for you: we’ll stop bashing your god virus if all of you give away all your possessions, throw away your guns, stop voting, and wait for your promised king’s promised kingdom.

Stop trying to rule and destroy the world and you’ll see how much we care about god.

shadow · August 1, 2012 at 6:28 am

redorangeyellowgreenblueindigoviolet

Jim Jones · October 11, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I’ve contemplated writing “Creating New Religions for Dummies” (or the equivalent). All of those created so far have been riddled with unbelievable nonsense and irreconcilable contradictions marked by incredible ignorance which make them laughably incompetent, a point well made by “The Invention of Lying”.

Every one except Scientology has been created by someone illiterate and Scientology can only fool the very, very easily deluded.

I wonder how powerful and convincing could a competently created religion be?

shadow · August 1, 2012 at 6:31 am

the more people convince me otherwise the more i beleive

E Christopher Reyes · January 29, 2017 at 5:06 pm

“Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.” ~Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, 1949. Science fiction writer, Mr. Hubbard still hold the Guinness World Record for the most stories published in one year; five thousand.

Hannah · January 31, 2017 at 5:34 pm