godless questions

What do you think is the secret to a good life?

I firmly believe that a “good life” is defined solely by each individual, so that’s what makes this questions so intriguing to me. I think it reveals what people want most out of life: is it romantic love and companionship? Do they want a legacy and people to remember them after they die? Do they want adventure and stories to tell? What about money and success? All of these “good lives” would provide different answers for the question, don’t you think?

What is “a good life” to you, and what’s the secret for having it?

10 thoughts on “Godless Question of the Day”

AndrewH_02145 · August 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm

From what I’ve seen having a good life has a lot to do with not f*cking yourself.

And that is easier than it sounds.

dr_a · August 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

A good life for me is one where I don’t regret the things I do or don’t do. I find that actually thinking before acting goes a long way towards a good life. The practice of mindfulness in both the English sense and the Buddhist sense seems to describe how I strive for a good life.

unskooled · August 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Freedom. Freedom from oppression. Freedom to be yourself. Freedom to take chances. Freedom to make mistakes. Freedom to think for yourself. Freedom to define a good life for yourself. Freedom to change your mind about that definition.

That’s the generalized answer because everyone is different but without freedom then none of the rest really matters.

TennesseEMW · August 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm

The love you take is equal to the love you make. Seriously. You reach out to other people, give something of yourself, and accept love from others (meaning, you allow yourself to be loved). It works. It makes life good. And as other commenters here have said, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

theGuyGD · August 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

A good life is one that is peppered with enough pleasant moments to remember.

The secret is first, happenstance—being born in the right place at the right time around the right people. Second, charity—being helped if you weren’t born into the right conditions, and helping others if you were.

Roofwoofer · August 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm

It would be interesting to talk about what we want if it’s a case of giving up something else. Like what if I want a significant relationship, but I don’t want my freedom restricted.

Jenny · August 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm

A life filled with amazing experiences traveling, doing things I love, and doing things with people I love. I want to be able to remember all the wonderful things I did when I’m too old to explore the world anymore.

Isabel · September 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm

A good life to me is one in which a person can experience genuine intimacy – loving completely and being completely, true loved and knowing that with certainty.

Isabel · September 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Oops I meant “truly” loved.

Jim · October 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm

For me, the secret to a good life is this: Growing older isn’t about finding out what you want to do with your life. It’s about being okay with not knowing what you want.