I think this film, Parrot, might reflect what a lot of us feel or experience as the only atheists in our deeply religious families:

Do you think it has potential?

6 thoughts on “New Short Film: an Atheist in a Religious Family”

Andrew Hall · September 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

The best atheist movie I’ve ever seen is “Lies and Misdemeanors” by Woody Allen. It’s freakin’ brilliant.

Riayn · September 27, 2011 at 3:52 am

Wow, this short film looks fantastic – and as an Australian, I’m happy to see that it is also an Australian film. 🙂

OlderMusicGeek · September 27, 2011 at 1:20 pm

i believe this is a topic that should be done, but if this preview is any indication, it looks rather hokey and melodramatic, and therefore won’t help any atheists.

Craig Foster · September 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hi Godless Girl,

It’s the director of Parrot here. Thank you so much for showing interest, starting a discussion and helping spread the word. The worldwide market of short films is extremely saturated so it’s important to have visibility.

Here’s a little more about the film for you and your readers:
I made Parrot with the simple of goal of having an audience empathise with an openly atheist character. I made no attempt to convince or convert the audience, I only sought to have the audience understand that sometimes we place so much importance on faith and belief that it is all too easy to lose sight of the things we have in common. We all hurt and we all need family and love. My film is about a character unwittingly denied by his family the very blanket of comfort and support that a family is supposed to provide because of his beliefs. It’s a story of isolation that can be universally understood so I think it can be appreciated and enjoyed by believers and non-believers alike. Indeed, that has been the case in test audiences so far.

If your readers are interested in seeing the film they should keep an eye on the website and our twitter/facebook feeds where we will post news about screenings around the world.

Thanks again and please continue the discussion.
Craig

Velky Al · October 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I can relate to that situation to a certain extent.

Having trained to be a minister, the thought of dealing with my parents’ (well, mostly my mother’s) disappointment at not even believing in a deity is one of the main reasons I keep quiet about my unbelief. It was bad enough when I was still hanging on to a vague, nebulous, belief in Jesus without going to church.

The only person I have really spoken to within my immediate family is my elder brother, who curiously has made the opposite journey from me, from unbelief to faith.

Brooke · October 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I think it looks like a good film. I read the comment by the guy who made it and I will try to see a screening if I can. I’m an athiest and came out to my family that is pretty religious. As it always is, some understand and others don’t. My mother is afraid I’m going to spend eternity in hell, which I don’t believe in, so this is both funny and sad to me on the same level. Sad, because I don’t want my mom to think this way or feel this way about me. It upsets her a lot and therefore I’m upset because she is upset. Funny, because the very thought of a place like hell seems like it should be in a family guy cartoon.

My sister is a believer and is teaching both her boys to do the church thing. They are 7 and 11. They asked me why I don’t go to church and I wasn’t going to lie to them. I told them I didn’t believe in god. The funny thing is, they just both looked at me for a bit, blinked and then said, “that’s cool”. Kids are easy. It’s the adults that are hard.