Today’s reactions to me saying “I’m an atheist” to some members of my chorus:

“I’ve never met one before!”

“I’m Unitarian.”

“How can you… what??? *sharp, frustrated sigh of puzzlement* You know what, I won’t ask.”

You should try this. It’s a crap shoot!

8 thoughts on “A Quickie Coming Out”

Andrew Hall · December 11, 2011 at 8:55 am

No one asked you about the baby eating, eh?

Daylight Atheism recently did an interesting post on how the Unitarian Church is anti-atheist. It’s worth reading.

Jim Jones · December 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Tried telling them you’re a Pastafarian? 🙂

Eric Haas · December 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

The most common reaction I got when I told people I was an atheist was, “No, you’re not!”

Patience Virtue · December 12, 2011 at 12:20 am

Omg. I got a bunch of patronizing praying-for-you’s. Ugh. Especially annoying since one of those expressing pity is a woman who married a drug addict. I’m thinking, “you feel sorry for me?!” 😛

Patience Virtue · December 12, 2011 at 12:22 am

And someone totally told me I should “read my bible” to “get through this time of doubt.” And some cheesy line about “listen to the word of god not the world’s view of god.” Really?! I’ve read it, and I have to say I’m underwhelmed.

Jim Jones · December 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

You’re kidding, right? No? It’s surprising how many people have taken a year, read the bible from cover to cover a few pages at a time and wound up as atheists. But most people like this cherry pick the bits they like and often read what they do read from sources other than the bible. (NB: Did you know that THE King James of KJV bible fame was gay?)

As for the “pray for you” people, it’s the least they can do because the next step down is literally nothing.

Three Ninjas · December 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I really want to know what she was going to ask.

Godless Girl · December 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, I have no idea. I noticed she seemed squidgy around me tonight at our chorus party, but I think I showed her through my friendly, warm demeanor that I’m not a freak who’s about to burst into flames.