This person may not be me, but he or she is not alone.

a secret atheist at work

from postsecret.com

It’s jarring to read my own secret (which is, admittedly, not much of a secret to my readers) on postsecret.com. Have you ever seen your secret(s) on that site? Do you have any secrets?

13 thoughts on “So am I.”

Respectful Atheist · May 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I too am an in the closet atheist, still working for a Christian organization

Godless Girl · May 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Wow, that must be a challenge for you. It has been a bit of one for me, anyway. Though, it’s gotten much easier with time and the balance I’ve found in my own life.

I can’t wait to read more of your blog posts. If you’d ever like to talk, my email is girl(AT)godlessgirl.com!

ExChristianMom · May 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Godless girl, I’m so relieved to find you online. I, too, work in CBA. It’s such a small world that there’s a good chance we know each other! I’m not the person who posted on PostSecret but I sure wish I could contact her/him.

I read your blog and many other atheist blogs…these blogs are the lifeline of the in-the-closet atheist! In fact, my latest post is about being in the closet and how hard it is, because I don’t want to lose my entire livelihood.

Anyway, just wanted to lend some support for you and let you know you’re not alone!

Godless Girl · May 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Hey, sister (isn’t it weird to hear that out of Christian context?). Being closeted to your family, friends, and coworkers is a terrible burden to bear. I know we all go through the process in our own time. Hopefully you’ll find your time as well 🙂
    I’d love to hear your story and talk more with you if you’d like to. I know sometimes we need to find a similar person to understand what we’re going through at certain times. If you’d like to touch base, I’d be honored! If you’d like to email me, it’s girl(AT)godlessgirl.com.
    I’m off to read your post right now!

ExChristianMom · May 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Just wanted to say, Respectful, that you’re not alone. I’m subscribing to your blog… I know we share a lot in common!

Respectful Atheist · May 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thank you, ExChristianMom, I’m going to begin following your blog as well.

TheSecretAtheist · May 6, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I’m an atheist, and while I don’t work in the Christian publishing industry, I do work in the church. And fucking hell but it is getting harder and harder to remain silent each week now that our pastor has decided to start preaching and teaching from Genesis lately. Last week it was young earth creation, this week it was the flood and eagles having sharp talons and beaks to eat coconuts with since nothing ate meat before the flood… It makes my brain hurt, bad!

Godless Girl · May 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I can’t help feeling surprised that you’re still working in the church, friend. I admire your fortitude despite your situation. Mine is thankfully not centered round preaching and church. I think it gives me much relief. My best hopes go out to you as you look for a new place to be. I wonder if the Clergy Project might have contacts for you since you work for a church? Did you contact them at all to discuss your situation? I’m sure they’d have some resources even for non-clergy.

Bill the Heathen · May 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

You atheist people working in religious places must have awesome mental strength to prevent yourselves from going nuts. I would go nuts listening to such ridiculous sermons. I could not stand them as a kid and remember at age nine bawling at church because I did not want to go in and listen to the gloom and doom.

Years ago I knew a young man who admitted he’s an atheist but goes to church because his wife does.

Personally, I would be afraid of going nuts by pretending to have a faith.

Chris · May 14, 2012 at 3:02 am

Hi all —

Here’s an idea. Why don’t you find different jobs? If your job’s excruciating because you can’t support the world view behind it, I suggest finding another job where you feel your views, talents, and skills are appropriately utilized. An anti-capitalist is probably not a good fit for Morgan Stanley. Micheal Moore would probably not be a good marketing director for Smith and Wesson. You catch my drift.

There are lots of jobs out there with organizations that don’t really care if you’re an atheist. It’s everyone’s responsibility to find a good career fit for their personality and beliefs. Happily, our employment laws allow us to quit any time we like and find more suitable employment. Right?

Rob Crompton · May 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

This is easier for some than for others, and for some it is very difficult indeed. For clergy it almost always means losing your home as well, very often, as family, friends and even marriage.

Godless Girl · May 29, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’m not at a point in my day when I can respond without sarcasm, so here you go:
    WOW, I have never thought of this before! What a novel idea! this has never even entered my mind, and clearly I haven’t been looking for a new job ever–not even once! That’d be too obvious.
    My, my, when I became an atheist during the recession, it was so dumbfuck of me not to just leave a secure job and go be unemployed like millions of others. *facepalm* What an idiot I was not to ever think about leaving a secure salaried job with necessary health benefits during an economy crash.

Eh-hem, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, I can be reasonable. I hope you (and others who have said the same thing many times before) can comprehend that you are not providing a novel concept to those of us who work for companies like this. We’re intimately aware of our options, our desires, and the job market. Some people (like myself) are much more able to leave than others. I am making a big push to find a new career this year. I have been a bit hesitant to do so as my entire industry is tanking beneath my feet, and I’m just really shitty at getting certain things like a job hunt off the ground. That’s my own fault. Some people are not as fortunate to have the freedom to dawdle as I do. Please try to see that we do understand our own situations quite well.

marcus · May 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm